Sunday, June 07, 2015

Stencilled Backgrounds

On Saturday, I picked up these fun Bo Bunny stencils to try out. I didn't have any cards in mind, I just wanted to see how well they did. The next day I came back to the backgrounds and decided to make a few cards.

I have to say it was nice not to have to tape down the stencil. Also, since these are mildly intricate designs, it was great not having to worry about them shifting or popping up mid-sponge.

First up, I wanted a cheerful card. The colours I used were PTI's Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, Orange Zest, and Terracotta Tile.  Next I die cut 3 layers of the WPlus9 hand lettered hello from some Basic Grey cardstock. I adhered those together to make it dimensional. Last few steps were stamping the word "sunshine", and then getting my layers altogether and finishing it off with some satin ribbon.


This card features the first stencil from the pack I used. If you know me well, you may know that I like stars, quite a lot! So this stencil definitely "spoke" to me! I wanted a rainbow look, so I decided on PTI's Hawaiian Shores, Limeade Ice, Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, and Berry Sorbet. Since I had the background already cut as a square, I decided to make a 5.5x5.5 card. I die cut a few stars, and sponged them. For added pop, I also clear embossed them. The "happy" was die cut three times and made to be another dimensional sticker. I paired that with one of the birthday greetings from the Whole Lotta Happy set.


For my final background, I had gone with blue tones. I wanted a bit of an ombre look, although I foresee myself using a rainbow colour scheme in the near future...

I went with PTI inks once again- Enchanted Evening, Blueberry Sky, and Spring Rain. Ever since I got the reinkers for these, I have been quite happy with how they sponge using the mini blending tool. Whatever ink you decide to use with blending or sponging techniques, I highly recommend keeping the associated reinkers. I definitely plan on getting the reinkers for the distress inks eventually, as I use those quite a bit for watercolouring and blending.

Anyway, back to the card, with this background, I wanted something a bit different from the first two. I decided that Spring Blooms would go nicely. I wanted something to contrast with the blues so I decided on yellows (Harvest Gold and Summer Sunrise). The green was a bit trickier to decide. I found that most of the PTI greens were too yellow heavy for this card and the one that's not was too vibrant. I ended up going with Stampin' Up!'s Pistachio Pudding. It had a nice softness that stood out enough from the blue background, but still coordinated with the yellow flowers.

I stamped the flowers and leaves and fussy cut those out. The sentiment comes from Strictly Sentiments 1.


I would definitely recommend these stencils for ink blending. I had no issues with them getting stuck to or damaging the paper. They cleaned very easily, almost even seemed to repel the ink a bit. I'm not sure how they will do with texture paste. I may give the final stencil (the heart one) a go, as I am not as attached to that one!

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment