Friday, March 12, 2010

Pressed Designs

I've recently become a little obsessed with letterpress. Unfortunately I'm in no place to track down a machine and learn how to use it. I became quite intrigued with the Lifestyle Letterpress kit (made by Quickutz). Once I found out I could use the basic start kit in other roller machines, I was sold. I picked up the starter kit and got to work with the ink, papers, and plates that came with it. I'm really happy with the design of the kit- it has a nice grid layout and lots of space for a cardmaker. I like the ink too!

Unfortunately, I was less than impressed with the quality of plates. The designs are fantastic, but after 3 times through the Wizard or the Cuttlebug, the plates showed serious wear. Cracks all around the design and even lines on the design itself. I was very sad. I immediately began to research higher quality plates, which brought me to this post. So I got to work making some fun illustrations, and not even 3 weeks later and thanks to an awesome online friend, I have my unique plate! Boxcar Press makes photopolymer plates. Now before you go trying to run your precious stamps through a roller machine, wait! The photopolymer plates are much harder. On a side note I have successfully stamped with the plate images, using a bit of pressure and pigment ink.

So here's one of many projects to come. One of the dangerous things about the whole plate production process being easy (for me anyway), is that I want to make so many more!
And here's an up close version. My next problem is tracking down 100% 110 lb cotton paper in Canada. It's been quite the task. This one is printed on Crane's Lettra. You can click on the photos if you want to see a slightly larger version.

7 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog from the clean and simple one. Had to leave you a note as I am a winnipegger too! Love your blog and your style! Have you looked into the quickutz letter press at all? I know that one goes through any machine too. :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Opus Framing and Art Supplies for a source of 100% cotton paper here in Canada? (Look under Art Papers - Printmaking, on their website). I have been wondering if I could use the Big Shot to do some printmaking, so this looks very exciting. Your card looks great! Where did you get your starter kit?

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. what was your inking process? (what kind of ink, brayer, etc) my results were horrendous and yours are...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I agree with you feeling about letterpresss. I too have been interested in letterpress and have purchased and used to find the same results. Not good. It was very depressing to say the least. Did you contact the company? I was thinking about it. Too much money spend for such short lifespan. I would think that once you have the investment that they should last much longer. Love what you designed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if Evergreen Stationers in Edmonton would have it.

    ReplyDelete